Therefore I'm going to stay inside my room and blog about the healthy version of eggplant parmesan that I make? Healthy because I don't pan fry the eggplant slices.
What you need:

- 1 eggplant
- 2 medium eggs (or one large egg)
- 250g mozzarella cheese
- 500mL pasta sauce
- Parmigiano Reggiano, or parmesan, cheese (apparently there's a difference -- Parmesan cheese is imitation stuff made for Americans. Sure ok.)
- about 100g breadcrumbs
- Wash and slice eggplant into disks about 1cm thick, or 1/2 inch.

- Beat the egg(s) and pour bread crumbs into a shallow dish.

- Grease a baking tray. I'm a germaphobe so I took a baking tray and placed tin foil on it and then greased the tin foil. Also, I'm lazy (once it's done, I just throw out the tinfoil -- no need to wash the pan!). Bread the eggplant disks: Coat each face of the disk in egg and rub it in breadcrumbs. Place onto the baking pan. When all the disks have been breaded, bake for 20 minutes at 200°C. After 20 minutes, remove from oven, flip over every slice, and bake again for 20 minutes at 200°C.

- While the eggplant disks are baking, cut a small hole in the mozzarella bag. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Finally open the bag remove the chunk and cut it into small pieces. Try to make them no larger than a standard board game dice. Alternatively, if you have pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, ignore this step of course.

- Remove eggplant disks from the oven once they're finished.

- In another baking pan, preferably a casserole dish with depth, line the bottom with some pasta sauce.

- Place a few disks in the pan. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and parmigiano reggiano cheese.

- Cover this layer with some pasta sauce. Then repeat with another layer of eggplant disks. Keep repeating until you're out of eggplant.



- Once all the eggplant disks have been used, cover with the remaining pasta sauce. Then sprinkle on any remaining cheese. Add any spices you like. I added basel and garlic salt.


- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 200°C just to get the cheese to melt. Buon appetito!

Fun Fact: One of my flatmates walked in as I was taking it out of the oven and she asked me what it was. I told her it's eggplant parm, but she's never heard of it. She's Chinese Canadian so I guess it's ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment