Thursday, January 8, 2009

10 days

Hey everyone, I'm still alive and have not crumbled from crippling fear. Over the past few days I've grown more confident and less scared about living abroad for a handful of months. Europe! Yay the feeling of going to a foreign land (a foreign land in the western world, but still a foreign land) is washing over me so I'm actually more excited than scared. Also, Natalie gave me a really cute Paddington Bear for Christmas which is preparing me culturally hehe (I've been watching some Paddington Bear cartoons on Youtube).

Also, I got my housing information today. Apparently I'll be living in an off-campus self-catered dormitory in the Fallowfield Campus of Manchester. Everything about it seems great except for the off-campus aspect of it; a quick querying of Google Maps tells me it's roughly a 30 minute walk to the academic campus. It is along a really convenient bus route, so I'll deal. I guess I've been spoiled by the convenience of Morewood Gardens back at CMU. Haha. Some good things about the Fallowfield location, though, is a 5 minute walk to Sainsbury's, which is a supermarket, and plenty of social places like bars, shopping, etc. Should be a fun time.

There's still some stuff I need to do.
  1. PACK! Lots and lots of packing. The challenge is fitting everything I need into 2 checked bags (note to self: call British Airways to make sure I'm allowed 2 pieces of checked baggage), a backpack, and a carry-on.
  2. Buy a voltage converter for my laptop.
  3. Buy a gift for my host family. After the Arcadia orientation, I will be spending 2-3 nights with a British family, "homestay," to get a more immersive experience of British life. I will be bringing a gift that is reflective of my "home." I could bring something that's uniquely American (but what? High cholestrol? Ok just kidding.) or something unique to my region (the Jersey shore? the NY metropolitan area?). I can't really think of anything special, maybe saltwater taffy or something nifty made out of seashells, I really don't know. If you have any ideas, feel free to share them with me.
That's all I really have to say for now. Tootles!

2 comments:

  1. You've got the same problem I did, haha. My suggestion is to take what's really necessary, especially since you're right next to a supermarket. Even though the pound is worth more than the dollar, you're better off buying a good portion of things, especially since you should have space to bring los of things back. Take things that you can throw away, such as old/cheap towels, if you want, and spread your clothes out between the suitcases. British Airways is NOTORIOUS for losing baggage. If you're bringing along a few more electronics, check to see if they're dual voltage; if not, you can get a universal adapter at Best Buy and just take the British plug(which happens to be the same as the HK one ;)). As for what to get... you could go the route of "I <3 NY" lol.

    Wow that was a ridiculously long comment. Good luck and well done on the housing thing; that's really quite lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your laptop adapter is universal; read the markings on your transformer (that brick that you connect your laptop to).

    I didn't know that you were studying abroad this upcoming spring semester... I guess that means that I don't get to see you for a long time [maybe forever]?

    Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete