Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gastronomic Task: An Excuse to Eat Chocolate



I've decided a couple weeks ago that one of my goals whilst (oh man, I'm using British words now!) in England will be to try every variety of chocolate they have. During the Arcadia orientation, we were told that one of the few things that the British do better than the Americans is making chocolate. I shall see if this is true. For starters, there definitely seems to be more variety here.

Periodically during the semester, I will update this list of chocolates I have tried, along with a blurb on my thoughts. If possible, a picture too.
  1. Kinder Maxi (6 individually wrapped bars):
    I bought these on a slight whim in Lidl when Ivy and I were walking back to Fallowfield during our first week. Lidl was on the way so we stopped in to check out the chocolates. I got myself a pack of these. I think mine might've had hazelnut which reminded me of Nutella, so thus I made my choice in this manner. Taste-wise, it is very smooth and soft, both the outer layer of milk chocolate and the filling of white chocolate. Sweet, but not too sweet. Also not too overwhelming and doesn't sit in the stomach. Recommended for satisfying a chocolate craving with minimal guilt because Kinder prides itself in making milk chocolate with extra milk, although I couldn't make heads or tails of the nutrition facts. Or convert Joules to Calories. Whatevs.

  2. Cadbury Dairy Milk Turkish Delight (28 square chunks):
    The first Cadbury bar on my semester-long task. Sainsbury's had a big Cadbury sale, £1 per bar. I limited myself to 3 bars, this being one of them. I don't know what Turkish Delight is supposed to be, but it probably has to do with a fruity berry filling with the consistency of jam. Tastes quite good and is definitely solid milk chocolate, something I wasn't ready for after eating Kinder for a week. Also, there were nutrition facts with the Guideline Daily Amount contributions (like Percent Daily Value in the US, except it is not on every product here in the UK, only the ones that are bad for you!) for one chunk -- you know this stuff isn't good for you. But taste-wise, compared to American milk chocolate, like Hershey, I have to say... the British win.

1 comment:

  1. This looks more like a Turkish win to me.

    ReplyDelete